In a spirit of fairness, I have been reading and re-reading this document, in an attempt to give its authors a fair shake. Alas ! Sometimes you have to call a spade a spade. Here goes:
This document is neither a policy paper, nor an academic assessment of the state of affairs in Rwanda. It is mainly an absurd regurgitation of other peoples’s thougths, a personal vendetta if you will, against the person of President Kagame: why, otherwise, in 51 pages do they mention the name Kagame 144 times ? Or do they see Kagame’s shadow everywhere they go ? Get over it, guys.
Check out these claims:
1. Rwanda is in crisis (page 2): contrary to what the rest of the world thinks.
2.” Majority of the people consider the government illegitimate” (page 2) (Never mind that Kagame won by 93% vote.)
3. “Rwanda is far less free now than it was prior to the genocide.”(page 7) (How come the Gang of 4 never went home then, but chose to remain refugees ?)
4.” Lack of judicial independence ” (page 8) (Rudasingwa was acquitted of embezzlement charges, and Bishop Misego was acquitted of genocide charges.) Hello !!!
5. “The externally-based unarmed opposition calls for dialogue …” (page 17) (This is is the FDLR that the Gang of Four are in league with. We know !
6. ” An atmosphere of palpable fear(far exceeding the worst that was experienced even during the notorious dictatorship of President Idi Aminof Uganda, where many Rwandese had sought asylum has eneveloped the country.” (page 18) No shame, really !
7. “He silences voices in the international community (especially leaders of western governments) by invoking their failures over the 1994 genocide. (page 19) I nominate the man for a Nobel Peace prize !
8. “RWANDA IS LESS FREE TODAY THAN IT WAS PRIOR TO GENOCIDE.” (page 21) For the sake of decency this deserves no comment.
9. ” Kagame’s predecessor, President Kayibanda, lived an even simpler life and may have died a pauper.” (Page 25) And the point is ??????
10. ” This second invasion of the DRC was a disastrous gamble that led to the death of millions of innocent people …” (Page 32) So, we should have closed our eyes to INTERAHAMWE ?
11. ” The likelihood of a recurrence of violent conflict, including even the possibility of genocide, is very high.” (page 36 ) Aren’t two genocides way too many, guys ?
12. ” … a Hutu insurgency could, in turn, conceivably lead to the genocide of the remaining Tutsi population of Rwanda.” (page 37) What do they know that we dont ? Or are they predicting ?!!!!
THE RECORD SPEAKS FOR ITSELF.