Two African women have won this year’s Nobel Peace Prize : both Liberian, President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf and Leymah Gbowee.
They follow the late Wangari Maathai (RIP) of Kenya who won in 2004. And the message is clear : African women are rising to their rightful place in society, and are well placed to make this world a better place.
But, women across the globe can rejoice : Tawakul Karman of Yemen also won, recognized for her unrelenting struggle to free Yemen from the yoke of dictatorship.
Past African Nobel Laureates are :
1. Albert Luthuli (South Africa) – 1960.
2. Anwar El Sadat (Egypt) – 1978
3. Archibishop Desmond Tutu (South Africa) – 1984
4. Wole Soyinka (Nigeria) – 1986
5. Nelson Mandela (South Africa) – 1993
6. Kofi Annan (Ghana) – 2001
7. Wangari Maathai (Kenya) – 2004